Thursday, August 22, 2013

Was praying / meditating and this name came to mind Hebrew Names of God


Adonai and Adonai Constructs given in the Tanakh









Introduction
Adonai
is the plural of Adon, meaning “Lord, Lord, LORD, master, or owner” (the word Adon derives from a Ugaritic word meaning “lord” or “father”).  In the Tanakh, the word Adon can refer to men and angels as well as to the LORD God of Israel (e.g., Exodus 34:23). God is called the “Lord of lords”(Deuteronomy 10:17) and Psalm 8:1 mentions God as “YHVH our Lord.”

The plural form Adonai, like the plural form Elohim, is regularly used with singular verbs and modifiers, so it is best to construe the Name as an “emphatic plural” or “plural of majesty.” When the plural is formed using a singular possessive ending (“my Lords”), it always refers to God, and occurs over 300 times in the Tanakh in this form.

2 comments:


  1. Adonai - Hillsong

    I lift my voice
    I lift my praise to You
    I lift my hands
    I lift my worship to You
    And I love You more than I can say
    Oh I love You more than I can say

    Ever I will sing only You will I adore
    Glorify my Lord only You will I serve
    For the world will fade away
    Still my song to You remains
    Only You will I adore

    Oh I love You always
    Oh I love You always


    ReplyDelete