Monday, March 17, 2014

G.
The most significant and formative prophetic years were 1982–1984.
II.
BEFORE MOVING BACK TO KANSAS CITY IN NOVEMBER 1982
A.I was born again on June 9, 1971 and then became deeply involved in a Presbyterian church for the next five years. I was strongly anti-charismatic during these days and boldly taught against what I called “charismatic heresies.” I was involved with Campus Crusade for Christ, theNavigators, and Fellowship of Christian Athletes during my high school and college years.
B.
Martyn Lloyd-Jones is my favorite Bible teacher (I had the privilege of speaking four times at his church, Westminster Chapel, in London in the early 1990s). My other favorite teachers are A. W.Tozer, John Stott, J. I. Packer, Stuart Briscoe, Chuck Smith, and Leonard Ravenhill. I read many biographies in my early years. My heroes from history are Hudson Taylor, David Brainerd, Jonathan Edwards, Wesley, Whitefield, Finney, John G. Lake and Bernard of Clairvaux.
C.
In June 1982, I was called to leave St. Louis to go to Kansas City. Augustine Alcala, a man with a proven prophetic ministry, heard the audible voice of God about me while visiting St. Louis. In October 1982, Augustine gave me four words about the new work in Kansas City.
1. Thousands of young people will gather in Kansas City.
2. The full manifestation of the gifts of the Holy Spirit will operate.
3. A false prophet will arise in your midst in the early days (he was discovered).
4. A controversy will arise against you; do not fight back, but trust the Lord.
III.
PROPHETIC EXPERIENCE IN CAIRO, EGYPT IN SEPTEMBER 1982
A.The Lord’s invitation in Cairo, Egypt, September 1982 (first indication of a coming movement):
I will change the understanding and expression of Christianity in the earth in one generation.
1. Changing the understanding:
speaks of the way unbelievers will perceive the Church.
Today, many see the Church as boring, irrelevant, and non-threatening (Acts 5:11-13).
2.
Changing the expression:
is the way the church expresses its life together as a prophetic people of prayer who walk out Sermon on the Mount lifestyles with a forerunner spirit.
B.
God spoke to me about four heart standards necessary for my future life and ministry. They are not the only values necessary in a New Testament church, but are the most neglected ones. In 1996, God corrected us as a local church, calling us back to these by using the acronym “IHOP.”
1.Intercession
: night and day prayer and worship affects our time
2.Holiness: the Sermon on the Mount lifestyle (Mt. 5-7) affects our thoughts and attitudes
3.Offerings: extravagant giving by living simply to give more to the harvest affects our money
4.Prophetic: confidence in God’s intervention (provision, protection, direction) and standing boldly in faith for what the Spirit is saying affects our security and identity (most difficult)

No comments:

Post a Comment